Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Are entrepreneurs born or made?Or do they randomly happen?



Its been a never ending debate on the making of this new species called the entrepreneurs.  Are all entrepreneurs born with the entrepreneurial(marwari) gene? Or can we create entrepreneurs in class rooms(EDI)?

I believe entrepreneurs just happen some by intent, many more by accident.  I have come across many a stories of an accidental entrepreneur, one such remarkable story which has major impact on my thinking is about Dr.J.M. Sampath.  To quote about him from his book " is a quintessential learner, deeply involved in understanding values and their role in various facets of life.  He is known for his pioneering work in the field of 'Value Clarification'.  I am sure by now many of you would be wondering how can a man who talks all his life about values can be called a entrepreneur, rather he should be called a sadhu. The genesis of Sampath's entrepreneurial journey lies on his fundamental question ""How can one bring about a process of questioning and of achieving psychological awareness in the masses?"  raised in the mid 80's.  Today to answer  that one question he heads a number of companies, of which arpitha associates is the flag bearer.  Arpitha associates does consulting on 'vision and values' for the fortune 500 companies.

During one of my interactions with Dr. sampath,  I asked him "20 years ago when you quit your job and started exploring vision and values, did you think you would become a successful entrepreneur?".  Looking at his wife across the table Sampath replied "I promised her 2 square meals a day when i quit and was about to get  married".

Dr.Sampath's story justifies my belief that entrepreneurs are not born , they become one! 

More information about Dr.Sampath and his work can be found in the below llinks
http://www.ashoka.org/node/2547  -  Sampath is an ashoka fellow since 2003
http://www.arpitha.com/home.html    - Arpitha associates

No comments:

Post a Comment